Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A good convention

I did not make it the final of the Toastmasters International District 51 Table Topic Contest but still I had a good time at the Penang Convention. I learnt a lot more about being a contestant and picked up one or two new skills which will come handy for future contests…if I do contest again..ha..ha!

While waiting for the result of the contest at the semi finalize, the contest chairman of the day took the opportunity to interview all 6 contestants. When my turn came I was asked about the books I was reading currently as I had stated, reading as a hobby in my bio data. During the interview, I said that I am really keen on taking a creative writing course as I have my own blog and stated the address of the blog. Then I heard some people laugh, probably they thought it was funny “lopsidedfemale”. I went on to share with them that I am a breast cancer survivor and I had absolute silence from the audience. At the end of the sharing, the contest chairman asked me a very poignant question…”How do you stay motivated?” I answered … “When I go and give a presentation to the public about breast cancer and after that people come to me and say my story is inspiring well that is what keeps me motivated!”

After the interview we adjourned for refreshment break and I had a few men actually coming up to me and asking me to write down my blog address. Another convention participant came close to me and said she is also a breast cancer survivor. Some said my short sharing was so inspiring.

All that feedback made my day and I was proud of myself ! I had good set of friends who traveled with me and was surrounded by gaiety and positive thoughts participants thought the convention.

I hope to post the pictures taken by my friends when I get them.

I post here some pictures of the MASWings fokker plane that I took from Kuching to Sibu during my trip to east Malaysia early this month. Not many get an opportunity to fly on a fokker to experience the thrills of the propeller driven aircraft. This was my first time flying on this aircraft which I have only seen on TV. It was great noisy experience…ha...ha!









No comments: