Monday, July 31, 2006

BOOKS…BOOKS…BOOKS

My aunt is down in KL from the US. I had asked her to get for me 2 books on breast cancer. But she and my cousin went on a hunting spree for books. They not only got for me the two books I wanted but also several other books! There were also 2 books on breast cancer and humor. I am really so thankful to them for sourcing the books, anyway what are loved ones for…ha!... ha!

The related books on breast cancer are:
- A Dietitian’s Cancer Story by Diana Dyer
- Dancing With Fear by Leila Peltosaari

- I’d Rather Do Chemo Than Out The Garage by Fan Di Giacomo
- Humor After The Tumor by Patty Gelman

Before the above books came into my collection I was also given by loved ones the following books

- Dr Susan Love’s Breast Cancer by Susan M Love
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer by Marisa C Weiss

Looks like I can have my very own collection of books on breast cancer. I can’t wait to read the newly acquired books especially the ones with humor!

Oh! Something just crossed my mind. All the above books were purchased outside Malaysia. Book distributors and retailers in Malaysia should consider having more books related on breast cancer on their shelves so that the people could have immediate access and obtain important information from these books. Then, there would be more informed patients who are diagnosed with cancer. Of course the internet is also a good source of information provided many people can have access to it. The more informed and aware the patient and her love ones are, the better it is for treatment and recovery.

When I was diagnosed with cancer, the next day I was in the National Cancer Society of Malaysia, reading some of the books. One book in particular (I cannot remember the name now) was a compilation of all the experiences and heroic stories of breast cancer survivors. After reading this book, I had more confidence,encouragement, motivation and was more aware of what was to come and how to manage the surgery and treatment. I had also printed a lot of reading materials from the internet and had read them as I had more than a week from being diagnosed to surgery. All these knowledge gained really prepared me better to handle my breast cancer.

1 comment:

HCI said...

NKV, actually 4 of the books I've ordered from amazon.com and is waiting for its arrival.