Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mammography

I went for my mammography last week. It had been a year since I did the last one and discovered the malignant lump on my left breast. It brought back a whole lot of memories. I was not looking forward to it at all but then I did not have much choice, did I! Even when I had to wait for my turn to have the mammography done, I felt a terrible uneasiness at the bottom of my stomach. This statement kept on appearing in my thoughts, “What happens if they find a damn lump!”

When I entered the radiology room, I was asked by the technologist whether I have done this before. In the state of mind I was in I gave her a sarcastic reply, “I have only one breast you know”. She politely said she knew I had breast cancer and told me to get ready for the test. I suppose it was not her fault either because I did my previous mammography at a different medical centre so you would not record of anything in her file.

When the technologist positioned and compressed my breast between the plates, it was not so painful as before. Probably I am so use it by now or maybe my threshold for pain has increased after all. Ha!..Ha! OR…may the machine was new after all the technologist did tell me it was a new digital mammography machine.

When the radiologist informed me that I was fine, I gave one of biggest smile, grinning from ear to ear and radiantly told her “Thank You!”

I felt like celebrating but the entire episode had left me drained of energy. So I did the next best thing…I took a GOOD REST!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NK don't forget to put your new photo here so any one can admire you ler...hehehe.....