Sunday, August 20, 2006

Tai Chi

When I read about articles or books on living beyond breast cancer, I usually come across the following sentence “…exercising increases the survival rate….”. And guess what! It is not just some minutes of exercise a week but it must be done for more than 3 hours or more a week. What a tall order indeed!

When I finished my treatment and started going back to work, I told myself I should at least try to do brisk walking for half an hour at least 3 days a week. But resolutions can always be made and not followed!

As the months went by I realized that I have not been able to find time to do much brisk walking. By the time I get home, drop everything and start walking around the field near my house it is already dark and I will be making my rounds alone. Walking at night has become dangerous with the increase of the snatch thieves.

As I walk, I began so alert of my surroundings especially to sound of motorbikes. Instead of distressing and I get more stressed! So I starting going for the walks only if I reach home early that is not many days in a week. With less exercise, I become more tired… not in mood for many things icluding having FUN!

I decided to do something about it, after reading the newly acquired books from US. Suddenly from no way I had this realization that there was Tai Chi sessions conducted in the same field where I walk and my friend has been with this group for many years. I finally got myself motivated and joined the Tai Chi group. The sessions are from 8pm to 9 pm, Mondays to Thursdays.

I read that Tai Chi is a traditional Chinese mind body relaxation exercise that can help achieve a balanced body and mind. The gliding movements/gentle exercise of the Tai Chi, helps to reduce stress and train the mind to still itself even in action.

Well I have been going for the past 2 weeks to these sessions, I am enjoying it so far, feel good and energetic. I shall endeavor to progress in my new project.




1 comment:

HCI said...

NKV, Cheer up. I pray for your health.
Now Tai Chi is good, but you can buy Denise Austin low impact aerobic exercise about 20-30 min and do it daily.

And pilates is good too, macam tai chi or xigong ke? semua menekankan good breathing.