Sunday, August 27, 2006

Feeling Helpless

My immune system must be really all time low. I have been suffering from a very bad cough for the past week. I couldn't sleep peacefully at nights even with the doctor’s medicine. This is the first time after completing a year of treatment that I am suffering so long with a chest cough. The condition of the weather and the haze has further aggravated the situation.

During the past week ,I also had to deal with issue of my Indonesian cleaner Jamila. She comes to clean the house once a week. Some weeks ago while I was at work, my mother called to tell me that Jamila spoke about her breast being swollen. I immediately spoke to her and told her to make an appointment with a doctor and to do a mammography. Of course she did not do so because during this time she had met with an accident and was hospitalised. Since she was in hospital I told her to tell the doctors about the breast being swollen. But again she did not follow my advice.

Since she had recovered from the accident, she came to my house last Wednesday. She told my mother that there are two lumps on her breast. My mother called me in my office and I got to know that Jamila could not stand the pain so she went and finally did a mammography done in a medical centre. The medical centre informed herthat she needs for an operation done to remove the lumps and told her to go to the general hospital for further examination. I am yet to see the mammography report.

I tried to convince her to go the general hospital. But she is adamant that she is quite happy with the traditional medicine she is taking and she claims she has seen a lot of people recovering from all kind of diseases from taking the traditional herbs. I was really annoyed with her when I heard this. Moreover she said she has no money for the operation nor has she got anyone here to take care of her. Then I told her it is best she goes back to Indonesia soonest possible to seek treatment. She said after she completes the cycle of the traditional medicine only then she would go back to Indonesia.

I called jamila again today to find out how she is doing. She said she is feeling much better! Ah! She said is afraid of the operation as she may die. Hei! I told her I had the operation and I am still alive!

I am really upset and worried for her. But looks like the amount of convincing I have done is not enough! I fell truly helpless when someone around me could have breast cancer and I cannot do anything about it. Well I finally told myself that is only so much I can do and the rest must be left to ones' individual fate!

3 comments:

HCI said...

Hey, don't you worry more, it will lower your body immune system. You need to be strong to make sure the ca don't come back.

HCI said...

NKV, how's ur immune system now? I hope you are feeling good again.

Unknown said...

This is our challenge actually. While we want people to be aware of the danger of breast cancer, there are some who are adamant with the alternatives. As if our lives will be terminated once we had the operation! How sad.

Anyway, how are today? Hope you are feeling much better.