Monday, September 11, 2006

Breast Cancer Awareness Through One Voice


I represented NCSM to give a presentation on Saturday at the Expo Cintai Malaysia. SKIVA a women’s undergarment fashion brand is in a rebranding exercise. They had a soft launch of SKIVA’s new brand concept at the 6th Malaysia International Trade & Consumer Fair, 6-10 September 2006 at PWTC, KL.

SKIVA had showcases of the contemporary undergarment display, fashion shows, lucky draws and others. Also in conjunction with the cancer month in October, another the highlight of the event was the “Breast Cancer Awareness Through One Voice” campaign in collaboration with the government representatives from Kementerian Kesihatn Malaysia, Hospital Seberang Jaya and NGOs like MAKNA, NCSM, UMMC and others. Educational talks, BSE demonstrations, free consultations and a Charity Drive were held to help raise awareness on breast cancer during this campaign. SKIVA also donated prosthesis starter kits to various organizations.

The various topics on education talks were breast cancer, bra fitting, breast feeding, cancer or not is your choice, early treatment of breast cancer, perspective of cancer survivor, living through cancer and early detection of breast cancer.

I, of course spoke on “Perspective of Cancer Survivor”. I shared my experience from the point of diagnosed to surgery, treatment, recovery and living beyond breast cancer. I spoke for about 30 minutes.

As a toastmaster this is my first experience speaking in a booth layout at an exhibition.
When I started there were less than 10 people. Oh no! I told myself the show must go on. As I progressed the 30 chairs was filled up and later I saw a lot of people standing at the back and listening to me. Wow! I must have really enhanced to public speaking skills to pull the crowd! Ha…Ha! When I finished many came up to me and said what a motivating speech that was. I was really elated. Further some came to share their experiences of how their loved ones had breast cancer or had a scare of it

As I concluded my speech, my message was BSE and if there are any abnormalities on the breast, to have it checked immediately.

I must applaud SKIVA for inviting speakers from various organizations to promote the theme and to use this opportunity to create more awareness among members of the public.

I am also glad I went to the exhibition, because SKIVA also has come up with some newly designed mastectomy bras. I placed an order immediately and what important shopping that was. Just in time too, as I need to do some shopping for them anyway.

All in all I had a great day, enriched by the new exposure, experience and truly motivated.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud and happy for you! I'm so glad that u took the opportunity to share ur heart n soul with the public. for one, u're one brave soul n it's probably ur courage, spirit n strength that's pulled u through n will continue to lift u up higher so u can touch so many others. Kudos dear..

HCI said...

NKV, I am sure that was a good psycho-immunity booster!! Tahniah.

Anonymous said...

Hello

I liked your blog, it was fun to read. I look for blogs all the time that can influence me to come up with unique ideas for my blog. If I were you I would go to http://www.autosurfmonster.com and submit this blog so thousands of others can see it for free. I found the website on accident but they really do give free traffic and so far they seem ok to me. well, i look forward to all the updates. thanks again.

Jessica

selvin said...

dearest valli
havent finfished reading all of yr cntents...think it is a wonderful idea how you have turned wht others wld think is defeatign into a service for community. Swami Vivekananda said " true salvation is in finding salvatin for all" best of luck & get back to you. manwhile will be forwarding yr blogsite to others. keep it up