Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Family History of Breast Cancer

I had no history of breast cancer in my family and now that I survived breast cancer, I have started the family history. Ha!...Ha! In away, it has increased the risk for my family members developing breast cancer so more my first degree and my second degree relatives. My first degree relative will only be my mother and my second degree relatives who be my grandmother, aunties, cousins and nieces.

I came across this on What are the Risk Factors for Breast Cancer posted by American Cancer Societyhttp://www.cancer.org/ which states “Breast cancer risk is higher among women whose close blood relatives have this disease….. Having 1 first-degree relative (mother, sister, or daughter) with breast cancer approximately doubles a woman's risk”.

I must strongly advocate breast cancer examination among my relatives and to the older family members mammography.

2 comments:

HCI said...

Valli, it is good to sense your up-beat mood.

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Great Blog. In 2 months time I'm off to Africa. Here's why

My Trek Blog


BTW, I'm a ATM(B) at Toastmasters