Thursday, May 10, 2007

Toxicity Level of Vegetables & Fruits

I really got upset when I read the recent reports of farmers using banned pesticides. It is important for everyone to eat healthy and fresh veggie and fruits, especially us the cancer survivors. According to these reports these tainted vegetables and fruits are so easy available in wet markets, supermarkets and pasar malam. What then do we do anyway if all these vegetables which looks so beautiful from the outside because so much illegal pesticides have been sprayed with the banned pesticides. One consumer group claims that the illegal farms are so prevalent in Malaysia that almost half the produce of vegetables like cucumbers, brinjals, ladies fingers, chillies and leafy vegetables contain dangerous amounts of pesticides.

After all the treatments, I already have enough alien substances in my body. The irony is, I have to eat more servings of nutritionally rich food but yet at the back of my mind, is the level of toxic each vegetable contains. This fact really bugs when I make myself a bowl of salad from raw vegetables, which I enjoy alot.

Well, farmers do not realize that all these illegal pesticides are also a serious health hazard to them too beside the consumers.

Alternatively I can go for organic food but then I am not on organic food due to cost and availability. I seriously wish there will be more ethical farming practices and awareness among farmers on the use of illegal pesticides. They are used so as to reap higher profits…but then what good is it there if people do not live long enough to enjoy it.

For now, I will continue to buy vegetables which have signs that they have been eaten by insects and have leafy veggies soaked in water before eating them.

No comments: