Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Aromatic Massage & Reflexology

My friends and I decided to drive to Melaka last Saturday, just to get away from the rigmarole of the weekend life at the Klang Valley.

As did not book any hotel rooms early, we finally found empty rooms at the Melaka Straits Hotel. We checked into our rooms and took a walk in the scorching sun around the town and had our lunch at the Indian street. At night we had dinner had the Portugis Settlement. We took a table near the sea wall and could hear the small waves beating against the rocks.

We feasted ourselves to some Portugis cuisine. Beside our table was a stall which sold all kinds of sea nails and cockles with were barbequed. Some of the shell thingy…I have not seen in my life! Of course, we were not adventurous with our sea food so we did not try them but other customers were really enjoying the shells which were sold like hot cakes. We restricted ourselves to “sotong sambal” and “Portugis Fish Baked” and we thoroughly enjoyed.

Many of the people at this settlement looked like to me are fishermen during the day and at night they operate the food stalls.

After dinner, as it was still early we just drove into town again and the shop with the sign reflexology caught our attention. So we went into the shop and at a reflexology session for 30 minutes. As the reflexlogist applied pressure at my soles almost every point was painfully. He said I had lot of air in my tummy among others. It was supposed to relax me but it was a realization for me that most parts of my body were not in good shape…ha….ha!

As we completed our session and was driving away, another sign board got our attention. All types of massage. I think we were in the area of the town which was a centre for all these massages and therapies. Since we did not have anything planned and since we would not find the time to indulge ourselves in the therapies when we were back home, we decided to try out the aromatic massage. We had a good one hour session. I have never had experienced aromatic massage before so I was quite reluctant at first because of my hand.

I told the young girl therapist that I am a cancer survivor and warned her nicely of course not to touch my left hand at all. She said she had never had a cancer survivor before and I am her first. Of course in between massaging, she would check to see whether I am alright. She also said I had lots of wind in my veins and I wanted to tell her that was old news! With the pains on my sole, I had more pain to my body….what away to spend a holiday ah!

The brisk stokes and the relaxing movement lulled me into a state of semi sleepiness though I was conscious of the hard pressure from the therapist hands. I allowed the therapist to massage the left back shoulder, but she did not touch my left hand at all.
I was tempted to ask her to do a gentle massage but the thought of any chances of having numbness on the hand prevent me from doing so.

We all slept well that Saturday night. We returned back on Sunday, and with me still complaining of soreness on my soles, hip and thighs.

I suppose the next time I go for any of these therapies it would not be so painful as I hope there will be less wind /air in my body!

1 comment:

Azmi said...

Hi NKV,
your holiday sounds fun, I miss Melaka very much and can't wait to be able to go back again.
You know that massage is one of the highly recommended complementaty therapies post-treatment right? Adeline at the NCSM told me that anyone can arrange for all kinds of therapies there by appointment.
There is a Thai Fair at Sri Hartamas Shopping Center now until 22 May. For RM 40 you can get a full hour fantastic body massage (according to my friend who tried it) and for RM 35, a Reflexology session, which unfortunately was not what I was accustomed to. Too gentle, I prefer to feel the "grateful pain" that is reflexology. I did feel very light still after the session as it helped to put a bounce in my step!
Try it before they pack up whenever you have the time!
Salamz