Friday, June 29, 2007

Changes in my right Breast.

I had my mammogram done this morning. I thought as usual it was going to be a breeze through but was I in for a rude shock. While I was waiting for the mammogram results, the young radiologist assistance came and said they have to do ultrasound examination. When I heard that my heart was really beating fast and the first thing that came to my mind was, “Oh No! Something is wrong!”

There were several radiologists (properly assistances or trainees) in the room and one of them told me that because of my history they felt the need to have the ultrasound examination done. They keep probing my breast with the transducer for almost 20 minutes and there were 3 doctors doing the examination. I was really praying hard everything would be okay. Finally the head radiologist explained that they found changes in my breast on this mammogram compared to the one done last year. It fact they found more cysts and calcification (deposit of calcium in the tissues). She asked several question including when I had my last menstrual and when was gyne visit. I told I have not had my periods for 2 months now and my gyne visit is due next week. She wanted me to do another mammogram on a certain spot on the top of the breast just to be sure nothing abnormal is there and to have a follow up in 6 months’ time.

Then I went back again to next room to have another mammogram done. After that the radiologist told me to come back in 6 months time. During this time, it struck my mind may be I was eating too much of food with calcium content and I must be more careful of my diet. Well, from the hospital I got back to work as I only had taken time off and after doing a search on the internet…it states that calcium in the diet does not create calcium deposit in the breast. I spoke to a fellow survivor for support and then carried on with work.

Earlier on the morning episode had left me quite shaken and upset. Now, I have calmed myself down … well…what has to happen will happen…just enjoy life and pray.

No comments: