Thursday, May 04, 2006

Hurray...... I am a better speaker

I am really elated beyond words as I have been placed as the 2nd Runners-up at the Toastmasters International District 51 Table Topic Contest which was held over the weekend. What a moral booster this is for me , to come out and less than a year of treatment to have won this award.

In front of an audience of 400 people i shared my experience of having breast cancer and how toastmasters have help me cope with it as the topic was "how toastmasters had an impact in your life"

After i finished the speech and every where i went, many people came and shook hands with me and congratulated me for a good speech. They said i had something very personal to share. I really felt like a celebrity then.

Now, it made me thinking that not everyone want to divulge the fact they had breast cancer. Why not ......I asked myself. I practically announce it to all and sundry that i had it. My friends tell me that, thats me and not everyone can be as open as i am.

Oh well i tend to deal with the situation by talking about it so often to many people. That is my remedy for overcome my adventure with breast cancer...ha...ha!

I know of many people who keep quite or do not want to reveal their condition as they say it is something they rather not talk or think back. I suppose it is our way of looking at things and how we want to encounter each situation we face.

I now realise i have so many things going for me after breast cancer because i want to ...and i and... only i can decide what i want.

I like to end with the same conclusion i ended my table topic speech with, "Smile and Life and
life will smile back at you."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im glad to be one of your friends and you know why because we often share a personal life and we get to know each other much more closer. At this moment everyone always with you....