Wednesday, October 04, 2006

CROWNING GLORY

My friend’s mother-in-law who is 66 years old has been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. The doctors have begun treatment by administering chemotherapy first. She has completed her first cycle of chemo and is experiencing hair loss. My friend told me she was very disturbed my this. At this juncture, I decided it was a good time to visit her.

I shared my experience of my “chemo days’. I told her when I started to experience hair loss, I knew I would not be stand the sight of my thick black mane coming off in strands gradully until there is not hair left on my head. In fact it was rather disturbing to see my hair in clumps in the hair brush. It really did undermine ones femininity and image. As I have read about some women shaving their head, I decided to go bald too! Anyway, being a Hindu it is auspicious to shave ones head for fulfilling a vow or receiving a blessing from GOD.

I had decided to go Batu Caves in the pretext of religious pilgrimage to shave my hair then. And so, I went all the way to Batu Caves, one early morning after my first chemo to have my hair ceremonious removed! After that, this year, I once again shaved my hair during Thaipusam at Batu Caves as an offering of thanks to Lord Murugan.

After becoming bald, it took time to getting use to seeing my reflection on the mirror and assuring myself that it still is the same old me with just a different look! I only used a scarf and that to only when I went out of the house, I wasn’t in favour of a wig because, I am quite clumsy and if in did not put it on properly I would look like a clown! NOW…I have cut my hair so short that men have longer hair style then me. Anyway, my friends say I look more stylish now and I DO…Ha!...Ha!

I also told my friend’s mother-in-law, the hair loss on the head will also be followed by hair loss from other parts of the body. I quickly also assured her everything will grow back after completion of treatment. She listened calmly to my encounters and my experiences with breast cancer. After hearing all that I had to say, she said she would think about shaving her mane. I know she would need time to think about it and she can only do so when she is really comfortable with the thought of being bald. After all a woman’s beautiful mane is her crowning glory and it is not easy to be without it.

1 comment:

HCI said...

NKV, yes la, short hair is easier, and I will miss being quite bald soon.