Thursday, October 26, 2006

Deepavali-The Festival of Lights


I really enjoyed my Deepavali this year binging on forbidden food to some but mouth-watering to me.

This year the Festival of Lights celebration was a real family affair. All of us in the family were tied down with work so we decided on a family celebration for a change. We did not extend invitation to friends as the previous years. Only my uncles and their families visited us. The rest of the holidays were spent resting and enjoying the festive atmosphere.

As for food, we were woke up to the aroma of mother’s delicious cooking on Deepavali. After the customary oil bath and going to the temple, we indulged in mother’s cuisine of chicken kurma, mutton curry and briyani rice. Adding on to this, we suddenly had lots of variety of Indian sweetmeats and guess what!...I enjoyed them in abundance. Not to forget the muruku and other Indian palagarams (traditional tidbits). As some of the family members were vegeterians, mother had also prepared idli, vadai, sambar and chillie chutney. The briyani too was prepared in a vegeterian style with vegetable kurma and oninons & cucumber yoghurt salad ( raita) to go along with it.

Festive Cookies

Some of the Indian palagarams that were served and which I truly enjoyed! Made from rice flour, ghee, lots of sugar, almonds etc.



A Part of My Deepavali Meal

Yummp! Briyani rice (basmati rice), spicy mutton curry, chicken kurma. It is does not look delicious...then I must improve my photography skills!


Of course, somewhere behind my head, I heard an echo saying “be careful…all these festive food are oily, fatty, meaty and sweetie.” But then I was happily and enthusiastically savouring the Deepavali specialties…after all it is Deepavali, a time for celebration and merriment. I put aside the breast cancer issue and celebrated Deepavali the Malaysian way!

I also revisited childhood when I played fire crackers which I bought for my 2 year old nephew. Well, we need to add sparkle to our lives and what better way then to see the colourful sparks on the clear night sky.

And guess what? The following day, for first time in my life, I went saw a movie at TVG a day after Deepavali. Although it was not a tamil movie I saw the “PRESTIGE”. Wow! And I really enjoyed the magic in it.
This year was within family and next year i think, i will invite friends and throw a party. After all every DEEPAVALI ust be different, unique and memorial.

1 comment:

HCI said...

Yummy! Err, maybe the briyani is healthier with brown rice? No, I think brown rice should be eaten plain and in pain, kah, kah, kah.

Actually NKV, I've just started eating the organic brown rice i bought 2 months ago. Not bad, quite filling, and minus the reactive hypoglycemia one experiences after a heavy meal with white carb.