Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Thaipusam

Thaipusam festival falls on 1 February this year, but I completed my thanksgiving to Lord Murugan over the weekend. There would be about 1 million people in Batu Caves on the auspicious day so I decided to go much early by going over the weekend.

I carried the paal kudam , a small pot of milk and climbed the 272 steps to reach to the caves. This is the first time in my life I had carried a paal kudam. In fact I only carried a small pot filled with about 0.75 liter of fresh milk. I also started carrying the paal kudam from the foot of the hill to the top. At first I put the paal kudam on my head and held it with my right hand. I felt is heavy on my head and was wondering how I am going to complete journey to the top of the hill. My cousin who came along with me suggested I put in on my right shoulder. I did so and found the paal kudam to be not so heavy.

I saw other devotees carrying kavadi but many carried the paal kudam. Parents were also carrying their newborn babies slung in a cloth-cradle hung on a pole shouldered at both ends by both the mother and the father as thanks for a safe birth.

Others shaved their head bald. I shaved my head bald for last year’s Thaipusam and then decided that I will carry the paal kudam as long as I am able to climb the steps. Batu Caves is the place I went to shave my head when my hair started dropping for during chemotherapy.

Most times I would be panting while climbing the steps but suprisingly on that day with minimum stops to catch my breath I completely the journey faster then before. I have also been a vegetarian for the past two weeks.

As I watched the milk that I carried being poured to the vel (lance) and offered my prayers, I was at peace as I have completed my vow and prayed I would have many years to carry paal kudam.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations my friend! You did it marvelously. See, that's the strength you gain after losing it to chemotherapy. You are going to beat it!

syikin said...

Hi NKV, My name is Syikin. My mother just had a mastectomy done in December and will go for her first chemotherapy on 15th of Feb. She is 54 now. She is so scared about the effect of chemotherapy. To be frank everybody in the family does. Is it possible for you to share with us about your chemotherapy experience? Would appreciate if you could write to me at syikinazim@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Congratulation NK Valli,

You make me feel proud to have friend and sister like you.

After going through all these days of challenges, you are still the best.

May you be blessed and rewarded with strong heart and many successes to come.