Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Joy of Sharing



My last Saturday was very hectic. My brother serves food every quarterly to the some families of orang asli near Telok Panglima Garang, Selangor. My parents and I usually join him in making the visit.




They are treated an Indian vegetarian mea for lunch. My mother and I prepared tahu sambal where else other friends of my brother prepared other dishes. The group is quite used to Indian vegetarian food by now as my brother has been making this visit for the past 4 years





On a makeshift table, among wooden huts, rubber trees and rustic living, we served the food to about 30 children and 50 adults. . We could feel the scorching sun on our heads as it was a very hot Saturday afternoon.







The children always wanted a second helping for papadams and cold drink. They could not wait for the adults to finish and for us to clear the tables. This is because they know at the end, they will be treated to a bundle filled with sweets, chocolate wafers, biscuits and buns. The look at this children’s face…words are not needed to describe the happiness on receiving these goodies.

After finishing saying goodbye, I had to zoom from the wildness to the concrete jungle. My insurance friend who is also my childhood friend had invited me to Hotel Singhasana in Petaling Jaya. I had been asked to share my experience as a breast cancer survivor to a small group of women. The talk was held in conjunction with an insurance product for women.

Of course after the speech, everyone said how brave I was and I had someone come up to me to give me a hug.

Well I suppose when you share something so personal even total strangers get connected to you.

1 comment:

syikin said...

Hi Valli,

I am totally 100% agree with your last point. We have only communicate thru few emails and yet I feel as if I've known you for quite a long time. We should meet one day.

Thank you so much valli and may you always be happy with your loved ones!!

Syikin