Friday, March 02, 2007

Mastering Adversity, Against All Odds

I am preparing a motivational speech for my toastmasters speech contest. I did not know that preparing one could be so challenging. Yap, I have given talks as a cancer survivor but delivering a motivational speech is a different cup of tea altogether.

As I was browsing through the internet I came across this write up about W Mitchell: Mastering Adversity, Against All Odds. As I read the article, I was totally wonderstruck at his plethora of grit and will power to overcome tremendous challenges throughout his life. He refused to be defeated by the number of obstacles thrown at him.

When you read articles on great personalities like this, you are amazed and overwhelmed of the immeasurable self-confidence, determination and inner strength of an individual compared to others. It also made me wonder… how much inner control he must have had to manage and overcome his pain, trauma, depression and anxiety and yet at the end to smile at life.

Here we are going to our daily rigmaroles and challenges…whining and complaining. And in the process get stressed and lose the yeast for life.

It is always good to read magnanimous individuals often to remind ourselves of what we are also capable of.

1 comment:

selvin said...

HI valli
being the selfish me that I am...when you finished the motivational speech...dont forget me and my music school folks....and meeting my teacher is a healing experience....if nothing else she will make you laugh till you forget yr troubles...even if it is for just a moment