Saturday, February 24, 2007

Playing Doctor

I played the role of a doctor this week. My mother and I went to visit this family friend of ours. She is 76 years old. She told my mother that she could feel a lump on her left breast and it was painful. My mother quickly asked me to examine her. So she removed her blouse and I felt a lump there on her tender skin. What a new experience that was! My mother too felt it.

I did not want to raise an alarm so I just told her it may be nothing serious but it is best to get her physician to have a look. A mammography should be done immediately. Panic can be seen on her face even though we assured her there is nothing to worry about. She has never done a mammography in her life.

On our way home, I told my mother if it is cancer, would she be able to withstand surgery and treatment.

Two days after this my mother accompanied our friend and her husband to the medical center. A mammogram showed everything was normal….thank god for that. In fact the lump has disappeared.

She called me that night to tell me what transpired that day, sounding happy and cheerful.

Well! I was glad everything was alright.

No comments: