Monday, June 02, 2008

Relay For Life 2008 (31 May-1 June 2008)

In the midst of gaiety, pomp and flair the Relay For Life 2008 held at the MSN Stadium at Bukit Jalil started on time on a very hot sunny Saturday afternoon .

The event was graced by the Health Minister followed by the welcome speech by the Organising Chairman Datin Zuraidah Attan. This overnight event also coincided with the "World's No Tobacco Day."

Survivors and participants showed their commitment to the event after being caught in a massive jam with road blocks as there were other activities that was held at the other stadiums in Bukit Jalil. They also had to park their cars far away to reach the MSN stadium.

There were about 370 survivors who participated this year accompanied by so many people from all walks of life which included many young people from schools, colleges and universities. Some corporations also participated and some international movements including the American Embassy took part in the event.

I was involved in a video shoot for the 25th Relay for Life by the American Cancer Society. So i missed most of the opening ceremony. I volunteered for the Mardi Gars costume parade adorning funky costumes, during the first lap walked by survivors. I was really made up with heavy make up and colourful costumes. My nephews could not recognise me..ha..ha!There were a number of fellow lady survivors who were all dressed in various fancy colourful costumes and we became instant celebrities as many people wanted to snap photos with us.

I had to be there early to prepare myself for the video shot, so my mother came with my brothers, sister-in-laws and nephews. Children could be seen running around the field, having a good time being entertained by clowns and being given free balloons.

The large stage also hosted a variety of entertainment from children performing classical dance, to Yoga workouts and many others which included singers and dancers performing.

I left early because my day on that Saturday started at 8 am as i was involved in my toastmasters club, youth leadership programme which coincidenced with the Relay For Life and was already tired by the time the event started full swing.

As I was leaving the Luminaries were being arranged around the stadium to honour all those people who have triumphed over cancer and to remember all those people who lost their battle to cancer.

Sunday morning I went back to the stadium and found that the crowd had dwindled but the mood and momentum of those who were still there was very high and vibrant.

It has been a successful second year for NCSM in organising RLF. I must takes my hat off to all those involved including staff of NCSM, volunteers (including survivors) and members of the public who participated to ensure this is another year to remember. For those of us who have participate last year and this year must be congratulated for our continous support and unwavering commitment towards Relay For Life.Our collective contribution in the fight against cancer and the same time to appreciate and value life for all of us who are survivors.

Photos will be posted later.

No comments: