Monday, June 19, 2006

Is There Life After Cancer?Looking Good & Feeling Great.

I had a very interesting morning last Saturday. I was called to share my experience as a cancer survivor at the Malaysian Dietitians Association Scientific Conference 2006 . It was held at Sunway Lagoon Resort Hotel. The theme of the conference was Cancer Care: Team Approach Towards Optimum Nutrition And Quality of Life.

The last session for the conference was sharing of experiences by 4 breast cancer survivors. We had about 100 odd audience listening to us at this concurrent session.

The first speaker was Ms Siti Shariah Hj Shaari. She is one amazing woman who has survived breast cancer and now is under going treatment for ovarian cancer. She spoke on “My Journey- A Personal Experience of a Breast Cancer Survivor”. She showed grit by making it to the conference all by her own and displayed a wonderful zest for life!

This was followed by Ms Adeline Joseph of the National Cancer Society, Malaysia. Her presentation was titled “The Role of Cancer Support Group” . I am so thankful to her because she was my support during my treatment. She is a breast cancer survivor for the last 11 years with a pleasant and cheery countenance.

I was the third speaker. I was called in to replace the original speaker who was not well.

The last speaker was Ms Dee Sidhu from Amanita, Malaysia who spoke on “Lessons Learned- A Dietitian’s Reflection After Cancer”. I am truly astonished that she can juggle so many responsibilities in her busy schedule of business, family, training and voluntary work. And what more she is a breast cancer survivor filled with energy and enthusiasm.

I spoke on “Is There Life After Cancer? Looking Good and Feeling Great.” I was really excited when I was given the opportunity because this is the first time I have spoken at a scientific conference!

I spoke on the following:
•OUTLOOK TO LIFE
- Love & Cherish Life, What Matters Most In Life, Inner Strength
•ADDITIONAL CARE BEYONG TREATMENT
- Continuing Care, Reconstruction, Tamoxifen Therapy
•COPING WITH LINGERING SIDE EFFECTS
- Fatigue & Loss of Energy, Arm Lymphedema, Other Side Effects
•CARING FOR MY NEW SELF
- I Come First, Diet, Exercise, Relationships, Breast Self Examination,
A Child In Future, Support Group, Career
•CELEBRATING LIFE
- Birthdays, Celebrations and Merriments, Holidays, Hobbies
•Living Beyond Breast Cancer
- To live with renewed zest for life!!

We had a panel discussion in the end of the session. Many of the participants came up and said how they admired us the survivors for coming and sharing their personal experiences.

I like what one of them said, “the session was one of the best sessions in this conference as this was the only session that allowed for real life facts and personal touch by survivors.”

After the presentations, there was this one participant who came to me and said that all of us are so lucky to have all support and love. Not ever one is lucky as we are.

Yap, I suppose we are lucky for the tremendous support we received from family, friends and anyone who came our way. I for one am thankful to God for that.

1 comment:

HCI said...

Good for you NKV. We here had cancer survivor day seminar on 15/6/06, but sadly not much opportunity given to patients to share their experience. What happened was doctors and sociologist talking and i think cancer survivors are best to give motivation to others.