Sunday, April 22, 2007

My Sunday Discoveries

I just found out this morning, two of my neighbours a few houses away have been hospitalized for dengue fever. When people came yesterday to spray the insecticides in our housing area, we were wondering why all of a sudden the town council has sent their men to spray. After hearing the news this morning, it explains the men’s presence. Hope the insecticides have eradicated the mosquito population in my housing area…that is the last thing we need, is to be down with dengue fever.

My 4-month old nephew had his head shaved at Batu Caves today. I climbed the 272 steps to reach the hilltop, panting and catching my breath at several stops on the way. When I reached home, I had a muscle pull at my right leg and my heart was still beating fast as it was going to pop out of my chest. Looks like going for Tai-Chi does not change the fact that I am getting old…ha…ha!

As I was resting my legs this afternoon and reading the papers, I came across this article on how a number of people have signed up to have their bodies frozen after death in the hope of being thawed and brought back to life some day. It is about the world of cryonics. These people are convinced that if they were frozen carefully and quickly soon after their death, their bodies could be maintained indefinitely until science found a cure for whatever illness that claimed their lives.

When the time comes, they hope the future generations would be able to take them out of cryogenic suspension and jump-start back them into a second life. It was interesting article to read on how people are willing to pay lots of money for a second life.

That made me think, what about those suffering from breast cancer. Would they want to be put in cryogenic suspension and brought back to life many years later when there is medicine advancement? Among other issues, that is an interesting, expensive and morally ethical thought to consider as it creates revolution for human existence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dear nkv, dengue? Scary huh? and freezing the body after death...what's that? eeeeiiiioooouuuu...even scarier sis. so absurd!