Thursday, April 12, 2007

Punching Bag

I represented my area in the Toastmasters International, District 51, Division C, International Speech Contest last weekend. The title of my speech was “punching bag”. The speech was for 5-7 minutes. I spoke about when challenges coming knocking at our doors at once, how to cope with such adversities. I associated adversity to be a boxer and we the punching bag

Of course, I said the first thumb rule was self confidence. To believe in oneself of our inner strength and willpower. The second rule was to find alternatives. I related how my first chemotherapy was really bad and how I found ways to reduce the effects by going to tai chi. The final rule was the phrase chemotherapy taught “this is only for a few months”. I spoke how I lost my crowning glory, my eye lashes fell on my blouse, my eyebrow thinned and nails turned black. I said I was an image of a sunflower with no petals! But this image was only for a few months and how I look stylize after that.

I concluded my saying how when life gives punches, we must the punching bag to bounce back.

I was declared the 1st runner-up of the contest. I was naturally disappointed and bruised by the result. I thought I did well but the judges must have thought otherwise. My club members were encouraging as they said I should take this defeat in a stride and with humility and this will make me a speaker in future.

Contesting was a great experience for me. I would not like to dwell too much on the defeat but remember the fact that many people who came to me and said it was inspiring and a good speech. So I guess I am a winner in other ways!

2 comments:

selvin said...

wish I was there with my children to give you a big big hug...you are the winner..of hearts

Azmi Shahrin said...

Hi Valli,

In my book you are the best.

Azmi