Thursday, August 30, 2007

Assuring a fellow survivor

I received a call from a cancer survivor 2 days ago. She was referred to me by my friend. During her chemotherapy I had kept off and on in touch with her. However lately, of course as I have been busy I could not find the time to catch up with the development of her treatment. In fact… I had not spoken to her for a few months.

So when I saw her “miss call” I was truly surprised. I called her back and found out she was doing the marking for her radiotherapy in the general hospital. She has just completed her chemotherapy. She called from the hospital to ask since they did the tumour marker and found nothing alien, must she continue with the radiotherapy. She further added that she was told earlier that she had to have 15 sessions of radiotherapy but now has been increased to 20 sessions.

Of course, I told her that she must have radiotherapy and complete all the 20 sessions. I assured her that all of us have after going through both treatments and have managed the side effects of the treatments. I convinced her that she should not have second thought about it but should complete all the treatments. She also wanted to know which side I had my radiotherapy treatment as hers was on the left and she was worried about her heart. I told her not to worry about her heart right now but deal with her cancer first. She told me she needed some one to talk too and she thought of me! Yap… I know how important it is to talk to another fellow survivor in times when you are not sure of what to do.

I do remember reading that somewhere that measuring of tumour markers in blood as a screening tool, is not conclusive evidence of the existence of cancer.

It also brought memories of the marking session and followed by the radiotherapy treatment we all had to go through.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't this is beautiful! As i said earlier; you're an inspiration for those survivors and those around you. In other word "WE NEED YOU". You're an important for all of us here. I'm happy you're a motivational person for fellow survivors.

NK Valli said...

Hi Anonymous

Wow! I am in cloud nine, right now with your wonderful words!Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility

HCI said...

Valli, checking on you. Wish you well. Regards, Has.

Anonymous said...

I've had glimpses of devastation in all aspects brought on by Breast Cancer and realise the needs of survivors/patients but we can only do so much. Thanks for sharing your experiences thru your blogs.. it helps keep the spirit up. You would be a great inspiration to the survivors here. I'd love to get in touch with you. Maybe you can give us some suggestions..?