Monday, October 22, 2007

No mammography for women under 40 years

I am really annoyed. Last night, I received a call from my friend. She has got a cousin who went to have a mammography done in one of the leading medical centres in the Klang Valley as her breast was painful. However the hospital staff discouraged her from having the mammogram done because she was below the age of 40 years and she was assured she had nothing to be worried about! I suggested a few places to my friend where mammography could be done and where silly presumptions would not be made.

What is really amazing is how someone can come with such a presumption. Do these clowns know that I personally know about 10 ladies who are cancer survivors and happen to be below 40 when first diagnosed with breast cancer including myself! Looks like it is not only the public should be made aware of breast cancer but also the medical profession! With attitudes like these more younger women would not have breast cancer detected at an early stage.

Anyway on another note, these two weeks have been filled with news of two ladies I know having cancer. One is breast cancer survivor who had finished her treatment almost the same time I did but now it has gone to the bone and spread to the liver. Another is a dedicated volunteer in her late 60’s who has been diagnosed with colon cancer.

In the midst of all these I suddenly find my breast painful which I have to wait and see whether is due to hormonal change during the menstrual cycle. As usual all types of disturbing thoughts will occupy the mind.

Not been a very uplifting 2 weeks.

During this time, I also discovered that mastectomy bras are becoming more expensive as it is nothing less then RM100. A friend suggested why not I get bras with pockets from the shelves which are commonly sold. So I found out that the brand “Triumph” has got one bra designed with a pocket. After tying it on, I found that my prosthesis can fit into the pocket with a bit of alteration to be made so as to protect the prosthesis from falling out. That only cost me only RM50.00. Though I have am not wearing it yet, I think it should be okay.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is sickening Valli..especially if it's coming from the medicalpractitioners themselves!

Hmm...how's that pain on your breast now?

Take care okay?

Anonymous said...

Hope you're fine. Please take good care of yourself. Each moments my prayers is there for you.

NK Valli said...

Hi Dalilah

I ok. Thanks

Valli

NK Valli said...

HI Anonymous

Thank you so much for your prayers. I am fine.

Valli