Monday, October 01, 2007

A gift for a cancer patient

A friend of mine asked my suggestion on a gift for her friend who is going to have mastectomy soon.

My sms text to her was as follows,”u could by anything tat is beautiful & cheerful…could even be a book about new hobbies…most importantly it is your companionship.”

Yap, I really felt in good spirits up when visitors came to visit me during surgery and treatment as I went through a roller coaster ride.

I told a friend of mine who came to visit me I needed to make juices and did not have a juicer, she immediately bought one for me and I was really touched. There were so many other incidences and gifts that touched my heart too. Another friend gave me some cross stitch materials… although I did not complete it then but it took my mind off things when I started doing them.

Others who came to see including my relatives always came with lots of fruits, organic vegetables., cereals and other food items. I know these are so easily available but by them bringing, it forces you (as you are many moods at times) to have a good diet and also makes you make the juices because you do not want what they brought to go to waste and you know people cared for you. I needn’t had to depend on my family for these things as I was already depending on them a lot.

I also received books and magazines to read whenever I felt like it. A couple of friends of my who came to visit me very often would my me a variety of soft drinks so it would enlightened the taste bud that has been dulled by the chemo. I got to know the existence of the purple colour dragon fruit during this time which is believed to be high antioxidant. My uncle sent the fruits every other week to my house.

I know I received a lot other things but cannot remember them as I post this blog. Ah! Now I remember another friend of my bought me several stylish scarves and I enjoyed wearing them when I went out. Another friend got me very big round ear-rings and I felt then I was setting a trend for scarves and big ear rings like gypsies!

Two weeks after the surgery, my toastmasters friends cajoled me to go for a day’s family trip to some orchard along a stream because they said it will do me good and it did then.

I know some people would rather be left alone during chemotherapy and radiotherapy but for me it was vital that I had people come to make me laugh and cheer me up. Many people helped and contributed in many ways towards my recovery and I shall always be grateful to them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, missy!!!
You must be skiing thru your life now. Now that you're stronger, you must be wishing to do everything possible no matter how trivial they are.
I can't help but agree with you, every small gesture to another person will make the person feels so much better and joyous. Even if it's a really really simple act.
People nowadays are so fraught with their daily routines (incldg me) that they forget how to appreciate the basic things in life.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you.